Visit the Only Continuously Operating Chautauqua in the West
Key to community, Boulder’s Chautauqua is one of the few remaining Chautauqua sites in the nation ~ and the only continuously operating Chautauqua west of the Mississippi. Emerging from a cultural movement of the late 19th century, the Chautauqua represents Boulder’s original land purchase on behalf of community — in 1898! Originally a tent city on the hill with a performance space and dining hall, the small seasonal community eventually included simple cottages. Today, it continues, through simplicity and a wide variety of cultural offerings, to exemplify its original ideals: lifelong learning, love of nature, music & the arts. Together, we’ll explore the nationwide Chautauqua movement and key aspects of Boulder’s Chautauqua including:
- The acoustically-renowned, historic Chautauqua Auditorium
- The legendary Dining Hall
- The Missions House and Rest Cottage (home of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union)
- The winding lanes and charming cottages, with images and stories of early residents
Your knowledgeable guides have a collection of historic photographs to bring your tour to life. Your guide can also provide advice on how to best take advantage of Chautauqua’s front door access to 48 miles of hiking trails, and will offer background on the season’s cultural events.
2017 Tour Season (June-September)
- Sundays 10:00 am
- Contact us for additional dates, times and/or information, private group rates vary by size
- We can accommodate privately scheduled groups with a minimum of four adults
- Small tour groups are guaranteed to ensure a quality experience, and to respect the Chautauqua community.
- Maximum tour capacity of 8, registration is required
The tours cover slightly over 1 mile, with 100 feet elevation gain, and in some places the terrain is uneven. We will spend about 1 hour and 15 minutes together.
- $18 adults, prepaid only, 18+ yrs (we keep our tour prices low, so no additional senior discounts, sorry!)
- $15 youth, prepaid only, 13-17 yrs
- Children under age 13, no charge
- Children under 4 only if carried in your kiddie backpack. Uneven terrain, narrow lanes, and traffic. No strollers.
- Reservations are required through tour calendar, by phone 720-243-1376 or email info@BoulderWalkingTours.com
- Logistical information will be provided in confirmation email
- Parking can be a challenging issue at Chautauqua, so plan ahead. Developed in 1898, the Chautauqua was not designed for auto access. If parking is not available within the landmark itself, you may park on Baseline Road. On weekends, there is a $2.50 per hour fee for parking in and around the campus. However, you may park for free at remote locations and catch a free shuttle. For details go to ParktoPark.org.
- Your tour will end at the Chautauqua Dining Hall — easy for catching a snack afterward or heading to the Ranger Station as a jumping off point for nearby hikes at the base of the Flatirons!